Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Truth in a country song....

Beware, this is a rather long post!

I used to be a big country music fan, in my younger days, and still like to listen to it on the radio every once in a while. Found this one song which has just echoed my thoughts as of late. Read on...


Trace Adkins, "You're Gonna Miss This"


She was staring out the window of their SUV
Complaining, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you"

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"
She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
And she keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"


And then there's this one, which has been out much longer, but I love the words too....


Kenny Chesney, "Don't Blink"

I turned on the evening news
Saw a old man being interviewed
Turning a hundred and two today
Asked him what's the secret to life
He looked up from his old pipe
Laughed and said "All I can say is"

Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink

I was glued to my tv when it looked like he looked at me and said
"Best start putting first things first."
Cause when your hourglass runs out of sand
You can't flip it over and start again
Take every breathe God gives you for what it's worth

Don't Blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink

So I've been tryin' to slow it down
I've been tryin' to take it in
In this here today, gone tomorrow world we're livin' in

Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster then you think
So Don't blink

Naw, don't blink, don't blink
Life Goes Faster Than You Think
Don't Blink...


Why the reflection? Cause it's so true... as I wrote on one friend's blog recently, when her twins turned a month old and she couldn't believe it, you remember when your child is born, then you blink and they're 1, you blink again and they're 2 and now, I blinked again and he's 2 1/2 (officially), which has made me wonder where in the world has the time gone??? Oh, I will miss these days, days that are smooth, days that are frustrating, days that are exhausting, days that are filled with sickness, joy, questions, and wonderment, all which are days that are PRECIOUS. I sometimes "wish away" days and later regret that I had those thoughts. Especially those days which are frustrating with your child! I remember when I was pregnant, several folks telling me to enjoy each and every day, each and every moment, because it flies by too fast. I tried to take that to heart and not have the mindset of "I can't wait until he (fill in the blank here)." I try to capture moments on camera (much to my hub's dismay!!). I try to fill my memory with little details, funny moments, scary times, everything surrounding being a wife and mom. I think the first song is so true... we're in such a hurry sometimes to get through things that we don't just enjoy the moment... I constantly have to remind myself to slow down, relax, and ENJOY. I guess that is why I blog about all kinds of things.. so I can remember it later. Right now, I just try to take it all in.

One of those funny moments came today while riding in the car with my SIL, and Mercy and Stone in the back. Gini and I are having this deep theological discussion about God's healing, prayer, why we don't see God working here (as in the States) as He seems to do in other countries and a whole host of questions, to which we don't really have the answers. In the midst of this discussion, we hear Stone saying, "No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!" Gini looks back and he has his hand put up (as in "stop") towards Mercy. To which Gini then says, "Mercy, stop telling Stone what to do!" Ha ha ha ha! I was confused at first, but I asked Gini what Mercy was telling Stone to which she answered that it didn't matter, but she must have been telling him to do something, cause he didn't want to do it!! Those two kids crack me up! Why we haven't rigged a video camera in the back of my car when we travel together is beyond me, cause we miss some of the funniest moments.

I am thankful for my SIL... even though we're family, we've become good friends too. I commented on her blog that 1) who knew that we'd get to live near each other and raise our kids together and 2) that we'd become such good friends? Not everyone who is related to each other are good friends. Some people just tolerate family! I am blessed and I'm pretty sure she feels the same. We both pray for each other to find a "best girl pal," not because we're tired of each other, but because we both still need that special "best friend" in our lives, in addition to each other. I pray God answers that hopeful request soon.

Good news about several other details in our life was revealed, and to those which will remain unspoken, we give God great praise.

Last Friday, I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation. $532.00 later, I got my car back. What!?!?! Yeah, turns out that I also needed 2 new tires, alignment, alternator belt, and rear brakes in addition to the oil change. Ugh.. what a hit financially. Thankfully, God has blessed us with great parents; the inlaws have been letting us live in their house over the past month and a half and my parents loaned us a little money (before all this happened) to help us with paying off some debt. Also, God has blessed me with a great husband who has been very strict and on task about us managing our money better. Otherwise, I don't know how we would have afforded this little trip to the shop. So, God is good and has taken care of us in many ways, especially financially, especially when I'm not so great when it comes to managing money.

Speaking of money, taxes have been done and looks like we will break even. By this I mean that we owed this year, but with the tax refund that we should be getting from the government, it equals out. Another huge blessing, since we really didn't have an extra $1500 laying around, and since we just spent $500 on my car, which wasn't planned. I tell you, God takes care of you, even when you don't ask and even in the small details as well as the big ones.

Such a long post... guess I was catching up. I continue to be stressed about work, but that is nothing new. I think that will always be the case, at least as far as I can see. K continues to also be stressed, but also continues to look for other job possibilities. My dad had an interview at his church (in WV) for a part-time position and hopefully, that will work out. He's glad to be retired and not be "in charge" any more, but I think he still has lots to offer in ministry. He should know something soon.

And that is it for now.... :)

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I LOVE the Trace Adkins song!! I have it on my IPOD and listen to it all the time. There is NOTHING wrong with country music!!!

Oh, and LOVE the new blog look!

Meredith said...

I love country music, alot of them have really good words with a great meaning...love the chic fil a pics too, Stone is getting so big

jennibek said...

Nice Blog Shelby -
Stone is adorable!