...with 2 year olds and a four year old can be quite interesting. They go something like this:
Stone: "Ice cream?" (on the way home one day after school... I had stayed about an hour later to catch up on some work so I was starving by the time I left which was around 1:30... I drove through a fast food place, not chic-fil-a, which doesn't even serve ice cream, but that was what he was asking for. Why ice cream was on his brain, I have no idea.)
Me: "Sorry Stone, there's no ice cream here. Maybe we can get some at home."
S: "Ice cream? Ice cream? Ice cream?"
Me: (repeat of above with the added, "If you really want some, we can stop by the store and get some.") Now, I just don't give into his every wish; I actually had to stop at get a couple of other items, so I was going to see how badly he wanted it. Plus, it did sound good!
S: "Ice cream? Ice cream! Ice cream!"
Me: Repeat
S: Repeat (are you getting the jist of this conversation?)
So, we stop at the store, get other items and ice cream. Stone has a melt down as we walk into store, one while in the store and one as we leave the store. Of course, he wants ice cream right then, but we can't get it, cause I have nothing to put it in or a spoon. I hear "ice cream!" all the rest of the way home. Get home, get inside with groceries and rest of lunch. Get him ice cream and he takes a whopping 2 bites. Small bites at that. And that was the end of the ice cream dilema! That calls for a "WHUT?!?!" I guess he just wanted a taste... of course, he was more than ready for a nap too, but seriously, all that and then wouldn't even eat more than 2 bites! What's that about! One track mind.
************************************************************************************
Recent conversation with my 4 year old nephew Nate went something like this: (on the phone of course, as he lives in WV).
Me: "Hello Nate! How are you?"
Nate: "Hello. I'm good. Can you come over to see me?"
Me: "I would love to come see you, but I can't today....it's too far."
Nate: "Why can't you come see me?"
Me: "Cause we live very far away."
Nate: "Oh. But can you come to see me??"
Me: "Nate, I can't come to see you today but in a few weeks we might come to see you. I love you buddy."
Nate: "Well if you love me, why don't you come to see me?"
Okay, broken heart here! He just can't quite get the concept that we live more than a few minutes away and it makes me sad every time he asks us to come over to see him! Ugh!!
*********************************************************************************
And the best is for last.... was over at my SIL's house last week. SIL and her hubs were at birthing class, Kevin was driving back from an interview, and FIL was at a music gig. So, my MIL had Cuz M at Mercy's house and I was bored so Stone and I go over. Stone and M are in her room playing and MIL and I are in the living room chatting. All of a sudden I hear M very loudly telling Stone to do something. MIL and I pause to listen and she repeats. Now, she's very good at "bossing" around Stone and telling him what to do. "Stone do this. Stone come into my room to play. Stone come outside. Stone eat your snack." You get the point. So, here's this conversation:
Mercy: "Stone, step into this." Pause. No noise or response.
Mercy: "Here Stone, step into this." Still a pause.
Me: "Mercy, what are you asking Stone to step into?"
Mercy: "A skirt."
At this point, my MIL and I look at each other and just smile. Mercy had on one of her princess outfits and I guess she thought Stone should dress up too. I quickly respond:
Me: "No, Mercy. Stone doesn't need to wear a skirt. He's a boy and boys don't wear skirts."
My MIL: "Remember Mercy, what your mom told you about how boys and girls are different and they sometimes wear different things? Like boys wear pants and shirts and carry swords and girls can wear skirts and princess type stuff."
Mercy: "But I'm wearing a skirt."
My MIL: "That's because you are a girl!"
Mercy: "Oh."
Ha ha ha ha! Oh well, if you remember one of my posts a few months ago that included a poll about would you and should you buy your boys girly things, you see why I laughed at this whole scenario. Of course, Stone wasn't the least bit interested in putting on that pink, tu-tu, ballerina skirt, but the whole thing of her asking him to is what makes me laugh still. No son of mine is going to wear a pink skirt!! Love our kids!
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Conversations...
Posted by Shelby at 11:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Luv the videos of tiger Stone:) and all the stories:)
Post a Comment