Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I'm sitting her debating on whether or not to be funny or sappy when writing a little tribute to my own mom to say "Happy Mother's Day." She knows me well enough to know that funny or sappy, I love her and love her muchly. So I guess I'll be both.

Reasons why I love my mom:

1) She makes the best post roast/Sunday afternoon dinner, hands down. Don't even say your mom makes a better one cause you're wrong. Then again, she's a pretty awesome cook, so no matter what she makes, it's going to be good.

2) She never really let us "whine" a lot as kids, as that's to our betterment. I'm thankful for that lesson, as there are plenty of adults these days who make a profession out of whining. My hubs says that "People don't grow up; they just grow older." How true...

3) She let me have a dog when I was in the 5th grade. I begged her to have another dog after their pet of many years passed. She finally caved and Taffy was born into our family. I know my mom really loved that dog too, although she'll never admit it. :)

4) She trusted me as a teenager... huge for most kids, because either a) their parents didn't really care and let their kids do anything they wanted or b) their parents didn't trust them at all, causing the kid to resent their parents. Both my parents trusted me and that meant a lot... still does to this day.

5) Took care of me when I was sick. Of course, I had to be really sick, as she didn't let us fake anything! But she was pretty good being a nurse to me (and all of us).

6) Since I left for college (way back in the fall of 1992), she has faithfully prayed for me, called me, and mailed/emailed me consistently for all these years. And sent me money. :)

7) She amazingly puts up with my siblings and my dad, who, even though they are great, they are inferior to her. And to me. :)

8) I'm her favorite child. I know my siblings think they are, but it's really me.

9) Openly accepted Kevin when I told her that I thought we'd end up getting married. She loves and respects him and that is a blessed gift. Of course, she tried to warn him about marrying me, but he didn't listen. To which I'm thankful!

10) Cause she loves me. And it shows.

And there are many other reasons, but I'll end this tribute at this point. I love you MOM!

And now, not to earn brownie points with my Mother-in-law, but to also say Happy Mother's Day to her and to tell her I love her, I also want to honestly say that she is wonderful and that I'm glad I have her as a MIL and not some other crazy woman, as some girls have. I mean seriously, some folks do not get blessed with good inlaws. I can actually say that I love her and like her! For whatever reason, God blessed us both with great inlaws and my MIL deserves a great big shout-all for all she does for us and for Stone. We love you and hope you have a great day!

And now, "mother" in a bunch of different languages:

French - Mere
German - Mutter
Hindi - Maji
Urdu - Ammee
English - Mom, Mummy, Mother
Italian - Madre
Portuguese - Mãe
Albanian - Mëmë; Nënë; Burim; Kryemurgeshë
Belarusan - Matka
Cebuano - Inahan; Nanay
Serbian - Majka
Czech - Abatyse
Dutch - Moeder; Moer
Estonian - Ema
Frisian - Emo, Emä, Kantaäiti, Äiti
Greek - Màna
Hawaiian - Makuahine
Hungarian - Anya, Fu
Ilongo - Iloy; Nanay; Nay
Indonesian - Induk, Ibu, Biang, Nyokap

But no matter how you say "mom" it really should be pronounced, "love."

Here are some quotes that kind of say where I am, now that I'm a mom. You don't really ever know what it's like to be a mom until you actually become one. And then your world changes forever.

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."~Anonymous


"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone

"A mother understands what a child does not say." ~Anonymous

0 comments: