My poor baby!!! We took him to the allergy doc this morning and as we suspected, poor Stone is allergic to almost everything they tested him for! :( We pretty much knew that he was allergic to peanuts, eggs, and dogs, but we discovered that also wheat, cows milk, trees, mold, dust mites and who knows what else. For now, we are putting him on some meds and the doc and nurses advised that we try our best to change our environment and his diet as much as possible to help treat the allergies, and that hopefully, this will help him "out grow" them in the future. Changing his environment means that I have to become a much better housewife in the area of cleaning!! I'm afraid I'm much too negligent when it comes to really cleaning, and I hate dusting, which is what we are going to have to constantly do, as well as change his sheets 2 times a week (recommended) and make sure books and clothes and other "items that easily collect dust" aren't just hanging out in his bedroom. Not to mention, we will probably have to buy some mattress pads and pillow covers that will help deflect dust. Oh well... this will make me clean more and be more aware of how we don't need the extra dust hanging about!
As far as diet, there won't be a whole lot of changes, as Stone doesn't eat a big variety of foods as it is. We'll probably switch to soy milk and see if that helps him some and try to avoid wheat as much as possible as well.
Even though I feel bad for Stone (especially after the torture we put him through this morning with the skin tests), I'm glad to know this now, so we can help him feel better presently and hopefully help in out in the long run. I just hate that he's allergic to peanuts, most of all! Both Kevin and I love anything with peanuts/peanutbutter and there's just so much GOOD stuff out there to enjoy eating! Maybe, just maybe, he'll grow out of it some day!!
Monday, January 21, 2008
It's Official....
Posted by Shelby at 12:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Well we are praying that you can make the transition easily- I would talk to Kim Hall as she knows exactly what you are going through-
Poor guy. Good you guys found out but what a bummer. I pray he will outgrow these allergies in a few years. And we'll pray that you can make the necessary adjustments. Changing sheets 2x a week. Yikes. You don't want to know how often I change T's.
I'm sorry Stone has allergies, but at least you know what they are now! I sure hope R doesn't develop an allergy to dust b/c I'd be in TROUBLE!
poor stone...poor shelby! i'll be praying while you adjust. see you wednesday
Ah-Ha! He is certainly my brother's son! You know something funny - I have a few allergies, and once Geoff said to me, I'm not sure we should have kids - they might have allergies! HA! (I'm sure we SHOULD have kids, and I'm sure they WILL have allergies...)
Well, it is good that you found out about the allergies. You will do great, Shelby, 'cause you are an excellent mom and mom's do what they have to do for their brood:)
Learn a lot and have some fun in Florida.
Post a Comment