Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Back from Florida....

....and still sick! That's how my trip started out and so far, how it has ended and continued on and on.. here's the details of what supposed to be a hassle-free, sickness-free, good time, learning new things and hanging with old friends. The reality was this:

  • Tuesday afternoon, I started feeling a cold coming on... but I didn't think it was anything bad. (Was I wrong!) I remember waking up in the middle of the night with my throat a bit sore and sinus pressure. I thought, there's no way I can go on this trip, since I'm flying. But I had to go because everything was paid for and I didn't want to waste the money.
  • Wednesday morning comes.. the day I'm supposed to fly out. Right after I left my house to go to the airport, I get a call from the airlines saying my flight was CANCELLED! I'm guessing due to the heavy fog. I call and get on another flight, just an hour later than my previous flight. No problem. THEN, just about 15 minutes later, I get another call and that flight is also cancelled! I call back and the only flight left takes me first to Washington, DC, then to Orlando! Can you believe this? AND, I now don't get in until 5:30pm.. which frustrated me greatly because the conference started with dinner at 6:30. I knew I'd be late, since there was no way I could get from the airport to the hotel in an hour in Orlando. Plus, I was taking a shuttle, which I knew would take even more time.
  • So, I get to D.C. and on the plane, and after all 100+ people board, we sit on the plane on the tarmac for an HOUR before we even take off! Why? Who knows, but it starts somewhere with there being a weight imbalance, then that was okay, and then we had to wait in line to take off, but we didn't even leave the loading area for an hour... not sure what that was about, but let me tell you, FRUSTRATING, especially when you're sick, and late for your conference!
  • I finally get there, miss dinner, but get to eat later that night, and visit with friends (the only redeeming thing of the day!) Thursday morning, I wake up and feel like a train has hit me and miss the first workshop because I'm a zombie. I make it to the next 2 workshops and lunch, and then had to go back and lay down for a while cause I had zero energy and my head was in a fog. I miss most of the rest of the day (I did make it to a few other things, but went to bed early again.)
  • Friday comes and I feel much better, but still drained. I make it to most of the stuff and again, get to enjoy some sweet fellowship with friends.
  • Saturday, I had to leave early to catch the bus back to the airport so I wouldn't miss my plane. I didn't really get a chance to say goodbye to my friends, but that's sometimes how it goes. I get back home (very thankful to see my hubs, stone, and my parents), but still very sick... all this "junk" is now in my lungs. So, I figuring bronchitis/sinus infection. I then start preparing to go to church on Sunday to do my job and Kevin wants me to stay home and rest. However, I don't really have a back up for me on Sunday mornings, so I go anyway. I thankfully can go to the doctor on Sunday afternoon and Kevin goes with me (as he's gotten all this junk as well, even though we apart) and get good drugs.
  • Monday, I take the day off, even though my parents are here to help with Stone since Gini was out of town. I just needed to rest! I felt a little better, but today (Tuesday) I still feel really bad. I didn't work today either, but took Stone to school and saw my parents off as they traveled back home today. My MIL was really sweet and offered to watch stone after school today so I could continue resting so he got to spend time with his other grandmother along with his fav. cuz. Mercy and Aunt Gini. And here it is tonight, and I STILL feel bad! I hope this goes away SOON! I'm still coughing pretty badly, even though I have lethal cough syrup, decongestant and antibiotics! Seriously, to all my pregnant friends out there who read this blog, I honestly really feel bad for you if you get sick cause I know you can't take anything good to help. I hope you ALL can stay well!!!
Here's a pic of the "old gang" from back in the day at GBC..... and a new friend!

2 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

Girl, I feel ya! T$ and I both started coughing on Thursday. B and I went out of town this weekend and by Sunday night, both of us were worse. Now, we're both on heavy duty cough syrup and it is helping. But, gah!, I just feel like a zombie!

kathylovemeyer said...

WOW, what a trip! Sorry you got sick. Glad you are home. Praying for you to feel better soon.