It's so sweet to hear your child call you "mommy" and hear him say "daddy" all the time. But even better than that, is to hear them say "I love you." Just the other night, I went in to check on Stone before going to bed (usually, this is to straighten him out or dig him out of the nook and cranny between the mattress and the mesh bed rail, which thankfully keeps him from falling out) and as I moved him, he cried out in his sleep, "Daddy..." kind of whiny, like he was looking for him and he wasn't there. Super sweet. And what a super sweet dad he has! I tell you, I am very blessed in the husband department, for not only is he a great husband, he's a fantastic dad as well.
As I look back on our short married life, most of it has been spent with a child in the picture, since I got pregnant just 4 months after we got married. During the last 2 and a half years of Stone's life, Kevin has really been fortunate to be able to spend so much quality time with him. We realize most dads don't get this.. not necessarily because they don't want to spend that time, but work makes it very difficult to do so.
Just 2 months after Stone was born, we moved to Alabama for our 2nd "adventure" in married life (the first would be to have a baby, of course!). During this time, Kevin went to seminary for a semester and worked mostly part-time until summer hit. Thus, he was able to spend lots of time with him while I worked part-time as well (at a church). Then, for our "3rd adventure," we moved here, where it took several months for him to find a job... he had several temp jobs, but this also allowed a lot of time spent with Stone.
And now, of course, in our "4th adventure" as Kevin's been laid off, he's had lots of extra time with Stone again. Again, I realize most dads don't get this; it's a blessing, even in the midst of losing a job and not knowing what's next. Stone, of course, has been loving the extra time he gets with Kevin and I know whenever Kevin does get a job and goes back to work full-time, Stone will have to readjust to just getting to spend time with his daddy in the evenings and on the weekends.
So, to my wonderful husband and friend, and best daddy in the world to our son, Happy Father's Day! I love you and am thankful for you and for all that you do for both of us, but especially I'm thankful for the godly example you are to Stone. I pray that he grows up to be like his earthly daddy and also very close to his spiritual father through your example. *hugs*
And of course, not to leave out my own dad or my father-in-law, we wish you the best day ever too! As I said on Mother's Day, I'll repeat for my dad and Kevin's dad... we also have the best dads in the world (don't even try to compete, cause you're wrong!) Both our dads are great in their own right; but they even go beyond that to love and support us and I know they pray for us often. Thank you and we love you muchly!!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Happy Father's Day Daddy!
Posted by Shelby at 10:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't it great to know that God uses the circumstances that we find inconvenient (K being laid off) for good!! Awesome:)
Caroline--Yes!! :) We'd much rather NOT be laid off, but we are taking advantage of this time together, so we view it as a blessing!
Post a Comment