Thursday, March 29, 2007

Do we look like Christians?

A few weeks ago, Kevin surprised me by taking me downtown to spend the night at a hotel and take a break from the stress of moving and to give us a "night off" away from our little one. We actually haven't done this since Stone was 2 months old! So, not only was it a nice little reprieve, but it was fun to enjoy downtown Greenville (which, if you haven't spent much time down there, you should go and check it out!).

Anyway, we walked down Main Street and put our names in for a short wait at one of the restaurants. We decided to sit outside, since it was nice weather. As we talked and do what I call, "people watch," we noticed that there were a lot of young people walking around (by young people, I mean high schoolers and college-aged kids... wow, you know you're getting old when you refer to high schoolers and college people as "kids"). Two girls particularly caught our attention. They were dressed alike: flat shoes, denim skirts that were mid-calf, a button-up shirt and denim jacket. They passed by us once, then again. On the second time past us, Kevin noticed that they had something in their hands: from what we could tell, it was probably a small Bible and some tracks. We figured out that they were witnessing and probably attended a certain local university (won't name names here, but I'm sure people can guess). We watched them cross Main and go talk to another couple who were sitting over there. What got me was that they passed by us twice and didn't even give us a second glance. I mean, do we look that religious or that "Christian?" I was kind of offended!! However, this experience did remind me to not judge folks by what they look like, not that I think some people look more Christian than others! Has this ever happened to anyone?? If so, share your story!

0 comments: