Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cake Gallery

So, I try my hand at decorating cakes. It's fun and it allows a bit of creativity to emerge. I am no professional, but I've heard my cakes taste pretty good too.... Here's the ones I've made so far (descriptions are below the cake).

This is still my favorite creation (that I came up with all on my own!). It's a birthday cake, obviously with a Hawaiian theme, but it's made out of cupcakes. Yeah, that's right, cupcakes. It was fun to make and "wowed" everyone at the party. The seashells are candy molds and the "sand" is just crushed graham crackers.


This was another fav of mine.. my niece Mercy's 1st birthday cake. Her birthday is near the 4th of July, so her mom had a patriotic themed birthday. Very fun!


Yet another fav of mine and my first attempt at decorating a chocolate chip cookie. It was for my sister Kerri's graduation (Master of Social Work degree) and her birthday all combined in one. She came to visit us (while in Birmingham at the time) and it was a great visit. She loves dolphins, so thus the theme. I put sparkle dust on the ocean water for added affect.


This is a new favorite of mine. These two pictures are for a friend's daughter's first birthday back in Feb. The little cake was Emma's "smash" cake. The bigger one was by far the most complex one I've decorated because it had so many colors. I used a plate from the decorations as my guide. The best part about it was that Kendra and John loved it!


My first cake for a baby shower. I loved doing this one cause it was all white (which meant when I messed something up, it was super easy to fix!) I had to track down my sister-in-law's sister-in-law (have fun figuring out that one) to ask for a picture of it because I forgot to take my own picture of it. Duh!


Just a fun cookie for my sister-in-law. I kept it simple and festive, but boy was it good!


My little one's big birthday cake. I don't know why I made it so big. Oh yeah, so we could eat on it forever! It wasn't quite what I wanted to do, but it matched the decorations anyway.


The cookie-cake for Father's Day 2006, dedicated to my hubby and my brother-in-law Jason.


Another yummy cookie cake for a friend in my Mom to Mom group who is expecting in about a week or so. So we welcome little Oli!


These two cakes were for a Valentine's Party for our Sunday School class. I just kept them simple, using candy molds for the little hearts and a glaze for the topping.


I like this one too cause it's different. It's a cowboy/western theme that was intended to go to a church gathering. This was the "practice" cake and we enjoyed eating it too!


My brother-in-law Jason is a huge Alabama football fan. So, I made this cake for his birthday last April. This was an interesting experiment, since when I tried to color the icing brown and it didn't work, I had to go to plan B: use traditional out-of-the-can chocolate icing so the football would look like a football and not some icky goo!


Mother's Day 2006--the colors didn't quite turn out as planned, but everyone like it anyway.

Here's another fun one for my sister-in-law's birthday this past January. I confess that when I don't have a specific pattern/design to look at, my creativity lacks! But, the best thing about this cake was that it was 2 layers; one chocolate and one yellow. Yum!


Another fav of mine... I made this for a lady in the church we attended in Birmingham. Her teenage son was going to spend the summer as a missionary in Brazil, and she was having a send-off party and needed a cake. She wanted something jungle-ish and this is what I came up with. She requested the verse at the top which is "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news." Romans 10:15. The animals are plastic and the palm trees on the sides of the cake are candy molds.



Just a simple birthday cake for the spouse of a lady I worked with at the church in Birmingham. Again, I kept it simple and festive.

4 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

Awesome!!! I hope you get some business from this post. I like all of your cakes...it's hard to pic a favorite. And you're right, they taste good, too!

KLee said...

Any time anyone mentions needing a cake I send them your name! Hope you are looking for more business because I know it will come! You do a marvelous job!

Unknown said...

great job! and tasty creativity outlet, yum

v;)

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Wow! This is a fantastic collection of all your cakes! You really are quite good at this!!!

Love you!