Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Out of sorts...

So, I realize it's not like me to not post so often... I'm not sure why I haven't been in the blogging mood, but I can't seem to get jump-started again. I have tons of pictures and stories to tell, but can't seem to get motivated. Just kind of feeling blah. So here's a little to catch up on our lives...

K and I have been working hard on trying to "break" Stone of some bad habits he's acquired since our transition, namely saying "no" to EVERYTHING which we are trying to nip in the bud. This requires lots of "time-outs", which usually gets the point across for at least 10 minutes or so until he says it again. Then another time out. 10 minutes, then another firm "no" from him. Another time out. You get the picture. It's getting old, but K and I are much more stubborn than him (where do you think he gets it from anyway!) and refuse to give up our quest to make our child have some manners. We know, "he's just asserting his independence since he's almost 3." Yeah, whatever. If this is the beginning of 3, we're in for a LONG year!! This will be much worse than the so called "terrible 2's!"

Another bad habit is him refusing to eat.. eat anything, eat things we know he already likes and absolutely refusing to try anything new. So, we're starving him out. Yeah, I know, we're horrible, but seriously, the child is STUBBORN when it comes to food. What else should we do? Suggestions anyone!!!???

Otherwise, Stone is doing remarkably well for all the transition we have put him through lately. It helps to have K's parents close by, as visiting with them gives him some sense of "normal" but he often asks for Mercy and Aunt Gini to which he doesn't quite understand that we don't live near them anymore. (Major sadness!) I will be excited for him to get into a routine at preschool soon.. that will give him a lot more structure and normalcy as well.

We have had lots of fun visiting with all our new friends (and one "old" friend from college.. although she's not old, just have known her since our college days). We are thankful that God has provided so many great friends, almost instantly since arriving here. What a huge blessing!

I guess that is about it... we are currently sitting here in the living room laughing hysterically listening to Stone singing at the top of his lungs from his bedroom (the door is shut) "Bring Back, Bring Back, Oh Bring Back My Bonnie to Me, to ME!" instead of trying to go to sleep. Ha ha ha ha ha! At least he's entertaining himself. Kevin is going through a box of things his mom saved from his early school years and reminiscing while I surf the computer and blog, avoiding unpacking more!! Will get to pictures soon... I promise..

1 comments:

kathylovemeyer said...

Just a thought...you might consisder phrasing your questions to Stone that do not require a yes or no answer. Give him a choice, like, "would you like to have a peanut butter sandwich or turkey for lunch." You give him choices (which will empower him), but you control the choices (without him even knowing it!)

Also when he uses a wrong tone, or lacks manners in his speaking...You talk back to him and say, "How do you ask?" (you say please and thank you)

You also might role play with each other how you want him to ask, talk, etc. And remember children model what they see...so you and Kevin keep those manners going for Stone to hear and see.

Hope some of these work for him.

As far as the eating...don't know...just know it should not be a battle...keep him away from sweet things and cut out snacks...if he does not want to eat then...it's his choice to be hungry:) And that will not last long, hopefully:):)