....and found out that he's a pretty decent guy. For those of you who are wondering who N.D. is, I abbreviated since I didn't want to get googled! It stands for N*apoleon D*ynamite. Yeah, that's right... the guy who played that character in the movie... his in-laws are staying at our hotel.. in fact, his father-in-law also works at the same company where Kevin works and is one of the VP's. Small world? Interesting world I guess. (To Gini, my SIL, you'll have to tell your hubs to read this post.)
The way all this came up: I think I already mentioned that we made friends with another couple who have been staying here for over a month and about to move into their house. They also relocated here after Heath (the husband) got laid off and now he also works at Kevin's company. Kevin met Heath and his wife Sommer and daughter Alex before Stone and I got up here. When we got here and met them, Sommer and I kind of hit it off and we started hanging out. Well, Sommer and Bonnie (N.D's MIL) had also become fast friends before we hit the scene. So, last week, we all met. The hotel not only provides breakfast daily, but every Wednesday night, they have a cookout of hot dogs and hamburgers for any of the hotel guests who want to eat it. Free food... so of course, we partake. Well, Sommer and Heath had gotten to the dining area first, pulled 2 tables together and invited us, along with Bonnie and Randy to all eat together. We sat there chatting about this and that and somehow, the conversation about Bonnie's son-in-law who played the character N.D. came up. At first, I thought I was hearing things, so I had her clarify, but yeah, that's her son-in-law. She and her husband are super nice and started talking about John (N.D's real name) and how he wouldn't play roles/characters that were nasty or vulgar due to his beliefs. I believe they are all mormon, and Sommer is checking out the mormon faith as well, which is another whole post in and of itself. Anyway, since I had nothing else to post about at this point in time, thought I'd tell this short tale.
If you're a fan of the movie, or at least thought it was funny in it's own demented way, here's a few interesting facts: The original movie was only about 10 minutes long and was a school project for John and one of his friends. Then, somehow (can't remember these exact details), a movie company picked it up and only gave them about $40,000 to make a longer version. They made the movie and it won at the Sundance Film Festival. Who would have guessed that? Then another, bigger, company picked it up and released it nation-wide, which is how it got so popular and made all the money once the word got out and it grew in popularity amongst younger folks mainly. However, the unfortunate part was that when this bigger company picked it up, John and his friend had to sign over the rights and release it to them, which meant they didn't get any of the royalties or any of the millions it made from the movie itself or merchandise. Bummer huh!!??
On anther note, I have been taking pictures of the hotel and our activities since arriving, but I lost those pictures with the other pictures lost (see post below). Then, the memory card started working again, so I experimented again and started taking some more pictures. Tried to download them, didn't work again. SO, I broke down and used the new memory card and will hopefully have some fun pictures to post soon of our "suite life" here in the residence inn. Toodles.
Monday, July 21, 2008
I met N.D.'s in-laws the other day.....
Posted by Shelby at 10:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hey cool! Almost...almost as cool as C knowing the HOFF! hahahaha So when are you cming here again?? I need you to take pics of the boys in their Furman gear for me to give to their daddy's office!
Post a Comment