Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Day Adventures

Happy Thanksgiving! Ours has not been very traditional---we've had a good day, just kind of funny. It sort of started last night (Wed.) when my cooking attempts failed terribly. First, I made just a simple chocolate cake and used store-bought icing to have for dessert last night and for over the weekend. The cake turned out fine; however, after I iced it, it decided to fall apart! I have no idea why; maybe I didn't let it cool enough, but we didn't let it's appearance keep us from eating it. Kevin calls it "the snow-capped mountain cake." It still tasted good, even though it looked bad! Ha.. see the picture below.

Then, after I made the cake, I put a steak-roast we had bought in the oven to cook for dinner. This thing looked great--it was steak with cheese, bacon and spinach wrapped up in it. Well, I cooked it, but had no directions as to how long or what temp, so I had to make it up. I cooked it for about an hour, but apparently it wasn't long enough. I had waited until Kevin made it home to cut into it (mistake #2)... he was tied up at work and didn't get home until about 7pm. So, our steak wasn't cooked all the way through and it was getting late. I put the steak back into the oven, and thankfully, we had a grilled chicken breast left over so we ate that instead. Which meant we ate the steak for dinner tonight (thanksgiving). Not your traditional thanksgiving dinner, but it worked. We actually bought a turkey to cook, so we've saved it for tomorrow instead.

This morning, we watched the Macy's T-day parade and Stone got into that for the most part. After the parade, we went over to Kevin's parent's house to retrieve our christmas tree, ornaments and a few decorations (after all, i don't really have much room to put up many decorations).

As we ate dinner, we watched the last few minutes of the Cowboys game (in which they won.. which makes my dad and hubby happy!) Stone even got into the action... see below, as he's wearing his cowboy colors...

Then, we had decided to go ahead and put up our Christmas tree, as Kevin has today and most of tomorrow off. Before dinner, we had taken our tree out of its bag and soon discovered that it was missing a part of the stand...one of the 3 legs was gone. Pain. Why in the world were all 3 legs not in the bag with the tree is beyond me. It was a year ago, so neither one of us could remember. So, I go off to wallyworld to look for another possible stand so we can put up our tree. (Which, I discovered that the best day to go to wallyworld is actually on Thanksgiving night, during the time when most people are eating dinner cause there's nobody there! Wonderful! I hate shopping at wallyworld when I can't get around and then it takes forever to check out.) Anyway, back to my story. I get home, we eat dinner and then we put the tree up. Thankfully, I had remembered to call kevin while at wallyworld to see if all the lights still worked. All but one strand, but other than that, all good. Then, after "fluffing" the tree and putting lights on it, we discover the missing leg!! We have NO idea where it came from. It's our own Thanksgiving miracle!! Ha! Anyway, so now I can take back the other tree stand I bought to hold up the tree. We only got the lights and star put on after all that; we're saving the rest until tomorrow. Stone loved all the lights... here's a pic of him looking at one.

We had a good day, even with the minor flops. We wished we could have spent it with other family members, but we are thankful for all the many blessings God gives us each and every day and especially thankful for each other. We hope everyone out there also had a great Thanksgiving holiday.

1 comments:

kathylovemeyer said...

We missed you all in Mississippi! It's good you had your own special Thanksgiving time making your own special memories.