Friday, December 19, 2008

Kid sayings....

A fun little story to share... I posted this on FB, so if you've already read it, it's old news! This just cracked me up so much, coming from the child it came from. My kids at least feel the freedom to say whatever is on their minds....

So, in my preschool class this past Thursday (I teach 4's), I told the kids during our snack time that Malu (her family is from India originally) was moving back to India during Christmas break and that tomorrow (Friday) would be her last day with us. I also told them that we'd have some special snacks and have a little "good-bye" party for her as well. I also mentioned that we might have chocolate pie. The kids started to process all this information and ask questions and try to understand that she wasn't going to come back. Then, one of them pipes up and says, "I sure am going to miss Malu, but at least we get to have chocolate pie tomorrow!" ha ha ha ha ha... so, i guess love IS related to chocolate after all...

THEN, today (Friday) this same little girl (Kristin) brought Christmas gifts for everyone. As Cole unwrapped his, his comment to her and everyone who was in earshot was, "This is not a very fun gift." Just as dead-pan and serious as you please. I kind of jumped on him, maybe a little too harsh, but I at least wanted him to say "thank you" to Kristin for bringing him a gift in the first place! Knowing his mom like I do, if she had been there, she would have been mortified! Later, when it was time for pick-up, he wouldn't even say good bye or Merry Christmas to me, as I'm guessing because I tried to correct him about his comment about the gift.

Sometimes, I overhear the kids saying things to each other such as, "You're not my friend." or "I don't want you to sit beside me." It's amazing the brutal honesty that comes from them! Of course, I try to help them find ways to say what they mean in less offensive ways (many feelings get hurt during these honest moments). But it's made me realize that I sometimes wish adults were that honest (with some tact thrown in of course)... it might surprise us what might come out... honesty instead of fake, meaningless words...

0 comments: