Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hallquist Oktoberfest just got rained on....

It's just a little over a month until Hallquist Oktoberfest 2007 begins... however, last week, I got some news that poo-pooed my impending joy. K comes home and announces that he has good news and bad news. The good news, he says, is that his promotion went through (Yeah! I really am excited for him, so don't let my next little bit take away from that). The bad news is that his company wants to send him to Germany to train. Okay, I say. Not a big deal. "For a month." he continues. "What?!" I exclaim.. yeah, a month. Wow. So, I wasn't prepared for that one at all. I immediately went into the mode of "Why do they have to send you to another country to train you for a job you do here?" to which the only answer is that they think for some reason, the Germans over in Germany are the only ones who can train the Americans who live here to do the job correctly. "Whatever." (that's my response to that!)

So, it took me a while to move past the initial shock that I'd be a single mom for a month, during our BIRTHDAY month (of all times). Not to mention the fact that I just started a new job today, so I have to figure out all the logistics of how to work things out with my SIL, PDO and work. Hopefully, my parents will be able to come down and visit for a little of the time that he's gone. They're retired, so it's not like they will have to miss work or anything.

And, I will end my venting by saying that I am very happy for K. I think back to his job he had when we met and got married. His boss at that job never wanted to promote him, even though he kept talking about it. He kept promising K that he'd move up, etc. but it never happened. I am thankful that it's only been 7-8 months at this new job and already they have moved him around once and now again to a job that has more responsibility and that comes with a small raise. God has truly blessed! Please pray for me as I live as a single mom in the near future. I was also reminded by a good friend who lived in a military family that many of our military families have it much worse. I am humbled and thank God it will only be for a short while. Also, pray God will keep K safe!!

So, anyone here (who lives in the area) want to celebrate Hallquist Oktoberfest 2007 with me? Let me know!!

5 comments:

THE PEELS said...

Aunt Minnah is still planning on celebrating Stone's 2nd birthday with him!

Shelby said...

Yeah! I hope so!!

It's a Mom Thing said...

oh, wow. that's a big surprise. congrats to kevin on the promotion. we'll help take care of you and stone while he's gone. where will he be going in germany? i spent a month there in high school.

Caroline said...

Congrats to K!! That is really great and obviously this company knows a good employee when they see one! I don't know how much help I'll be able to be around that time, but let me know if there is anything I can do!! SOOO.. how's the job?!?!?

Shelby said...

Miriam, He will be going to Worms, which I think is in the middle of the country? And thanks for offering to take care of me and Stone!

Caroline, we will need to be helping YOU as you are expecting your little one! Have you changed a diaper yet??? And the new job is going... well, it's going and it's been very interesting so far.. will have to blog about it!