Friday, June 01, 2007

To Bee or Not to Bee...

Well, I've never seen anything like it. Tonight on TV, there was nothing on so we were surfing and then we were going to turn it off. However, the National Spelling Bee was on and caught our attention. And just let me tell you, we were fascinated (does that make us nerds?) I mean, it's a spelling bee for kids I think ages 11-14 or 15 and they were spelling words I had never heard of and most of them were from different languages (Hebrew, French, Latin, German, Greek, etc.) Some of the French words Kevin didn't even know and he's pretty fluent! And did I mention these kids were no older than 15?? I think most of them were 14. And then the funniest thing about the whole ordeal was that there were commentators.. yes folks, commentators, just like you were watching a football game, tennis match, ice skating competition, etc. That was hilarious to us!! Especially when we saw the commentators, Kevin said that one of them was a football commentator!! HA! Then, if a kid misspelled a word and was disqualified of course, they went to sit with their parents. Then, right before a commercial break, one of the commentators would interview them, and ask the dumbest questions. We thought the whole thing was a riot (except for the amazing words these kids were actually spelling!)

And THEN, (yes there is more) there were segments on some of the kids (you know how they do in the Olympics when they will have a video of one of the athletes about their home life and what they do when they are not practicing for their sport and what their other interests are and who their family is, yeah, that's what they did on some of these kids!!! except it was more like, who their parents and siblings were and if they did any other extracurricular activities and how they study for spelling bees, etc.) Anyway, that's what we did tonight.. we are all spelled out!!

1 comments:

It's a Mom Thing said...

True Story... One of my roommates in college competed in the National Spelling Bee when she was in 8th grade. None of her "smarts" rubbed off on me. HA!