Monday, September 25, 2006

Do you hear crickets?

"Do you hear crickets?" This is what Kevin, my husband, asked me Friday night when we went out to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, which is actally on Monday, 9/25. We had taken advantage of a "Parent's Night Out" childcare opportunity at our church which was very inexpensive, but was on Friday night. Normally, we probaby would have asked Kevin's parents to watch Stone, but they had gone to Birmingham for most of the weekend.

Anyway, back to the crickets. Kevin took me to a rather fancy restaurant to celebrate. Even though we are struggling financially, we thought it would be okay to be "wined and dined" since we only do it once a year on our anniversary. Well, the restaurant he took me to was a bit more expensive than he thought and had planned for. You know, the kind of restaurant that serves only 6 shrimp for an appitizer and charges an outrageous amount but it comes with your own personal half of a lemon with a condom on it to keep the seeds from squirting out and from juice going everywhere?? (Okay, so it's not a real condom, but a "lemon cloth" or whatever it's called.) Yeah, that kind of restaurant. The food was good, but I thought it was over-priced even though they kept your glass full of water before you could get it half-empty. And I will say that they had the BEST cheese-bread (complimentary) that we had EVER had in our entire lives. Well, we are sitting there, waiting for our entrees, and our table is next to the emergency exit back door. This is where Kevin insists that he hears crickets. Mind you, this is over the noise of the restaurant, which is quite buzzing at this point. Not to mention that the door itself was quite thick and there weren't any windows nearby either. Not to mention that the table next to us had been quite loud all evening and there was constant movement (from the server keeping our glasses full of water and flombaying Bananas Foster to the people across from us). I, of course, did not hear crickets, but he insisted that they were there. We argued over this for quite some time and finally, when I got up to use the rest room, I walked over and stood by the door with my ear almost on it and still did not hear any crickets (even though I'm SURE all the other people in the restaurant were wondering what in the world I was doing.) I reminded him that he was currently having sinus troubles (a cough, congestion.. typical cold stuff) and therefore, his head must be stuffed up so that he confused something in the kitchen or the rest of the restaurant for being crickets. However, he still would not budge on the fact that he thought he heard them. Well, I wouldn't budge on the fact that I didn't hear them at all. So, when we finished, we left the restaurant and walked towards our car. He mentioned that he heard them again, and so did I at this point, but we were outside with hardly any background noise to deter the sound of crickets chirping. He then insisted that he wasn't crazy. (Whatever.)

I guess I write about this because it's funny to see how people insist that they are right. Here we were both insisting that we were right, even though it was about something silly. Mind you, we had a fun time with it and didn't take it seriously. Sometimes, when people try to prove that they are right, it turns into nonsense and fighting. Other times, like our date, it was simply a light-hearted, fun conversation. I guess I wish more people would agree to disagree and realize that it's not always important to be right. Sometimes, both people are right. And even if one person is right and the other is wrong, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. However, Later that night, due to his congestion, Kevin mistook me saying "fog" for "dog." I casually pointed out that that's why he thought he heard "crickets."

0 comments: